Sunday, March 13, 2005

Old school
It was really an Old School weekend the last three days. My sister Hannah, oldest friend Nick, and ex-classmate Harrinet came over this on Thursday for a bit of skiing, dragging Nick's fiancee Holly and my neice Alexandra along too. Our friend Owen was supposed to come too but shamefully easyJet cancelled his flight, bastards.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This was Alex's first time skiing so I was quite excited about mucking about in the snow with her. We put her in for a couple of lessons at ski school and she reported that she had a great time. Give her a few more lessons and she'll be flying down the piste following the instructor as part of one of those snaking lines of kids, doing a fine job of annoying the feck out of the snowboarders.

It was good hanging out with everybody. It was a chance to get to know Holly a little better, which isn't a bad thing since I will be best man at her wedding to Nick. Unfortunately Nick was too good at snowboarding for me to find any funny stories that I could use as material for the speech. Harrinet was a good laugh, playing along with the teasing cheerfully. I have to mention that it was Harrinet's mum that turned me into a curry addict at the age of 11. I used to go around her house just up the street from us as often as I could to gorge myself on Eritrean spiciness.

I was well impressed with Les Angles. Without a doubt, the most beautifully scenic resort I have been to yet in the Pyrenees. It's set to one side of a wide open snow covered plain with another ridge of mountains to the far side so that the views are great, and the resort is below the tree line so that the whole place is filled with the contrast of green on white. They've got a great snowboard park too where I managed not to mess up a single jump, although obviously I have no proof of that ;-)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We made an important discovery this weekend though. It seems that the French have stolen and mutilated the British cultural icon of Monster Munch. Not only are these pale imitations flat and ghost shaped instead of the familiar thick monster paw style, they don't even have pickled onion flavour! It's a travesty I tell ya.

Flickr Photoset

Permalink | |