Saturday, January 01, 2005

meiji jingu
There's always a thing to do whenever there's a special occasion in Japan, and on New Year's Day the thing to do in Tokyo is go down to the Meiji Jingu shrine. Once Aymen had finally got his ass out of bed, we headed off to get our fortunes and say some prayers for the coming year.

The place was heaving but the thronging crowds were kept under calm and orderly control by the ever so neatly uniformed police. I managed to eat some old chump of octopus baked in a batter ball and sprinkled with fish flakes, known as Takoyaki.

Chika translated my fortune and it turns out that this year the gods recommend I trust my instincts and follow my heart. Ralph's gods told him to get on with climbing the mountain that lay before him, "Schyeah right! The story of my life!".






Permalink | |