Thursday, July 01, 2004

posts about England and being English
Although I have lived full time in the UK for the majority of my life, I've also lived in both France and Japan. Naturally, my perspective of England has been shaped considerably by these experiences.

Britain needs a thoroughly good makeover and to boldy step forward into the future instead of droning on about the past, as if that counts for everything.

For the makeover, here's my suggestion for a revamp of the national flag. And for stepping into the future, here's what I think would be a good start.

I'm also not very keen on all the noisy political hyperbole about the preservation of our national sovereignty, especially when it turns into bigotry.

And what's all the irrational fuss about us losing the Pound? This explains why I am happy to be in europe spending euros.

After all that negativity you might think that I hate being English, but infact my genuine cultural identity is something that is important to me since it is a fundamental aspect of my character.

On the other hand though, I am not much keen on a contrived national political identity. And I think the class system and all our efforts to define ourselves within it are ridiculous.

Permalink | |